Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bruneau Dunes State Park, 5/23/11

I got attacked by a raven. Nay, two ravens! Before you think I am a
ninny, rush to the nearest world wide web portal and take a gander at
a few pictures of said beasts, making sure to note the scale of the
photos. They are gargantuan. And two of them flew straight at my head
in quick succession, beaks wide, talons barred, squawking angrily.
Have you seen The Birds? This could have been an outtake. I screamed
and hit the deck, narrowly escaping with my eyeballs! I know. I didn't
believe it had happened either. Robert would have been able to give
more details, but he covered his eyes at the last second so as not to
see mine get plucked clean out of my head.

Explanation of the behavior? We are camping at the deserted Equestrian
Camping area of the park and I walked up to the group shelter, which
has been repurposed as a raven's nest. Mama and Papa raven were none
too happy with my ignorant, close-quarters approach.

How ridiculously cool is that though? We are camping next door to two
giant birds, living in an even more giant nest, perhaps with babies
that they will feed tomorrow!!! (We retreated to a campsite a little
ways off so they don't abandon the nest. So much for using the one and
only wind/sun shelter in the Equestrian Camp...

On a side note, we might have also found an owl nest in the same
location. There is a broken board on the shelter, forming a well-worn
hole. Suspicious? Yes. But even more suspicious is what looks like an
owl-pellet, straight out of eighth grade science class, directly below
the hole.

I like nature. A lot. (Ben, what does that look like? An "ilikenature alot"?)

Tomorrow we are taking the day off from driving and I am thrilled.
There will be much raven stalking and there are sand dunes and marshes
and a lake to explore! We also saw a yellow-breasted flicker (not sure
if that is the technical name, but its close enough). Sigh. I am
getting so excited to go on our camping trip!

Did I mention the hoards of mosquitoes that tried to carry me off
while I set up the tent? (It's awesome here!)

Final, final note. We showered and it was glorious.

No comments: