Monday, August 2, 2010

7/29: more children

Today unfortunately was another lackluster day. My big accomplishment was writing about our yellowstone experience. Robert went fishing a lot and I wrote a lot. 

The children invading our campsite got worse, much worse. It was peaceful and deserted in our camp, but then they came. They literally set up their tents adjacent to ours. The kids were literally running through our site, on all sides of our tent, etc. It was not pleasant. We have plans to leave tomorrow to find a place with less kids, less bugs and hopefully bigger fish. (thus far they are typically sardine size) 

Today, however, we ran into Darby, the nearest town. Robert needed more nymphs and some big dry flies to use as indicators. We first stopped at the espresso place that doubles as a candy shoppe and antique place too. I wanted to buy a quarter pound of candy, but I ended up with three. I filled up on jelly cherries,  unbearably hot gummi bears, taffy and caramels. Only the first two were in any way tasty.  S wolf kills - things wolves had killed. I haven't been to the website yet, but it recommended going to the website, saveelk.com. Interesting perhaps. They were not fond of wolves.

Next we got back to camp and Robert went to fish...and so did I. I have been increasingly interested in trying it out. Robert lets me hold his fly rod sometimes and has talked about teaching me how to cast. So I took his spinning rod and headed out to play around with it. First cast, reeling in the lure, can't see it. Oh what it that wiggly thing? Oh, it's following something shiny...oh it's a fish biting my lure! I enjoy that the water is so clear that you can see the fish chasing the lure, but once he was on there, I was lost. It took a lot of finagling on my part to get him off and i didn't like it one bit. I went back to my hammock to read. I'm not sure if I will try my hand at fishing again.

Robert eventually came home and we were hanging out in the hammock when we heard a crackling sound. It was coming from our own fire pit. The fire from last nit that had been quietly smoldering all day had suddenly burst into flames! It was quite amusing and we certainly didnt squander our good fortune. We started a fire for dinner. We made another tasty curry using tikka masala paste. Very tasty, I liked the salad balls, but I did not like the addition of the yogurt, which cooked before it melted, leaving small white clumps in our otherwise wonderful curry. 

Kids went to bed and so did we. "Damn those meddling kids!"

No comments: