Monday, August 2, 2010

7/28/2010: I failed. I only caught 18 fish.

We laid in bed until...i'm not even sure when, but it was late, even for us. We took a short rinse in the lake and started our day with fried potatoes. Overall it was a pretty lackluster day for me. Robert caught fish after fish after fish and I sat in my hammock swatting flies, gnats and skeeters. More people came to our lovely remote campground. There was a family in a motorized canoe dragging five hooks as they went, only Gentry caught a fish - what a terrible name! There was also a group that hiked halfway around the lake to fish. Then the thunder rolled and the lightning struck, another love grew cold on a sleepless ni-iiiight. Ok, not so much, but we scurried back to camp, dreading the raindrops we already felt. 

Back at camp, sunshine. A few drops, yes, but primarily sunshine. We made Asian soup for lunch as if we were backpacking. Julienned veggies from a bag, ramen noodles minus the spice packet, fresh bock choy, sun bird veggie stir fry mix for flavor, all the normal spices. It was, o.k. Nothing spectacular, we can do better. Robert was happy with the attempt, but I sadly was not. I have to say I am quite the conessiure (sp?) of drop soups and this was not one of the better ones I have experienced. Maybe I am biased because I dumped about four squirts of sriracha too many into my soup turning it red and almost inedibly spicy. 

I don't know how I forgot to mention this: we got neighbors, a whole gaggle of screaming, running, crying chitlins and they camped directly besides us, curse them. It is true that we are taking up two tent pads because of the leaking tent debacle, but still, they are very much up in our biz. I have decided that I vey much do not enjoy other people's children. They give children a bad name. I try to read my admittedly difficult book and I can't even manage that with all their....noise. Uggh.

We retreated to our big tent with the cooler, a dangerously low bottle of whiskey and some dominoes. I won. (to be fair, the game was never fully completed, but I was ahead when the whiskey took over.) I ended up deciding sleep was the best course at that point, utterly disillusioned by the bloodsucking insects, screaming kids and sneaky rainstorms. Poor, Robert, he had to make himself a turkey sandwich dinner and had nothing good to read in the tent. It did eventually start raining again, making venturing out no fun. As I said, it was a pretty lackluster day. 

Author's Note: it is currently 7/29, Robert is off wetting his line, and I am sitting in my hammock, which is unfortunately in full sun. Just as I finished the above post, my pad said: turning off now. It is too hot to use! Apparently, the pad and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to full sun. 

Also, further proof that Mr. Blue Jay is shy; he only comes by the campsite once a day and he only comes when Robert is away. I got a few nice shots of him in the middle of this post.

No comments: