Thursday, May 26, 2011

Campsite, 5/25/11

We ended up having to ask directions to a campable spot at the local
store. When the man behind the counter saw me come in, hugging a
torso-sized atlas, he said, "You're in Ashford." That much was clear,
thankfully. When I told him we were looking for Elbe Hills State
Forest Campground, he asked in a wonderfully backwoods accent, "You
goin' wheelin'?" That threw me for a loop, I assumed the answer was
no, but it took my gears a few spins before deciphering a reference to
FOUR-wheelin'. Apparently we had chosen a campsite for people on ATVs,
no wonder the road was shit for a Uhaul truck pulling a car!

The nice guy soon set me straight and recommended a few other spots in
the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. "Just go down past mile marker 4
and no one will bother you there." He tried to describe a few specific
spots that might be nice, but it really seemed like whereever would
do. We were disheartened when all the "pull-outs" he had described
were barely passable in a four-wheel drive truck. Finally though, we
located this choice spot and were able to get our rig off the road
completely.

No comments: