Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I Made It To Ko Tao

My travel days seem to start very early. I guess I do book the earliest times possible since it makes getting to my destination a much more enjoyable task, but the early mornings are rough. I took a cold shower at 5:30am, which was absolutely frigid, given the low temperature of the morning. Then I was picked up from my GH at 6am. Of course the minibus that picked me up didn't take me straight to the pier, instead to a songthaew that was waiting at the train station. They wanted to pick up more passengers that were arriving on the night train from Bangkok. Most travelers don't stay in Champhon, opting instead to take a night train from BKK and get shuttled immediately to the pier to go to Ko Tao. The songthaew was a big one: the size of Dave's truck instead of mine, but still just as packed as at Loy Kathrong. It's a 12km ride to the pier and about 9km along our way we had a tire blow out. This is the first time I've ever been in a vehicle that blew out a tire, but it actually wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it would be. This did happen right when the boat was scheduled to leave, so I was a little worried about missing the boat, but as is apt to happen in Thailand, a phone call was made and the boat just waited for us. Once on the boat, it was packed to the gills and I was amazed as to how many people arrive by overnight train and don't stay in town.

The boat ride wasn't bad, just pretty long. It was the first time I've seen touts actually on the boat though. I first sat on the inside, but it was too hot and stuffy since there wasn't any A/C, so I opted to go outside. There were a lot of people outside, but everyone was sitting up front in the sun so the side walkway was clear for me to sit. I ended up sleeping for at least an hour of the boat ride which made it go by faster. (How long was the ride total? –Jenn)

Once on the island, you are bombarded by touts wanting to sell taxi rides and guesthouses, but they were not as bad as places in Cambodia where people seem a little more desperate for you business. I decided that I needed to get something to eat before I went to the east coast side of the island which is isolated from the town. It was 10:30am and I hadn't eaten yet today. I walked around town a little trying to get a bearing on what was in close proximity to where I was and found a little Mexican place that had cheap prices on banana shakes and green curry. (A Mexican place? …serving green curry?! –Jenn) That's a breakfast of champions. After a slow breakfast, it didn't take long to find a taxi. I took about three steps out of the restaurant and I had my ride. Travelfish said it would be a 400thb ride to the side of the island where I wanted to go and I got it at the rock bottom price of 300thb. (Excellent work – You win! –Jenn) In Thailand that is a large difference, but on this island all the prices are inflated. 5 baht water for 10 baht is the standard here. So off we went.

In reading about the roads here they say they are very dangerous during the wet season which I can see be true. For the most part they are paved, but they are just wide enough for one truck to pass and very steep. There is a section that has at least a 70 deg incline to it. If you came to another truck there would be some backing up. It was an interesting ride. The only good thing was that there aren't any cliffs that you drive along. Almost there, I told him which guesthouse I was staying at and of course there was a price renegotiation at which point I should have gotten out and given him half the agreed upon rate and walked the rest of the way. Instead, stood there giving him nothing until he decided to take me. I hate when they do that and probably will not react well if it happens for a third time.

Once at the guesthouse it is very peasant and relaxing though on a very steep hill. I got my 350thb bungalow that has a view of the bay below and sunrise in the mornings. It is very nice. I spent the rest of the day fooling around on the just good enough Internet to get emails and sometimes websites and drank a couple Changs. It was a relaxing evening.


(editing by Jenn)

No comments: